The End is Near

     With a week left, my summer adventure is quickly coming to an end. This summer has been one for the books for sure and one I'll never forget.
      In my last post I told y'all about my upcoming week of working with innercity kids and counseling them for a week, which was also our last week of group camp. That week was probably one of the best one's that I've had here. The beginning of the week was a little rocky because I wasn't sure how well I was going to be able to connect with these kids and get them to open up, but as the week went on all of my worries were gone. The first night we met with their youth pastor and ran through the week. At the end he told me and my co-counselor Aaron that he had been praying the whole way to camp for two counselors that would be able to help these kids and guide them closer to God and close to each other. He also told me and Aaron that he thought we were the perfect pair to do just that, which was an awesome encouragement considering my worries.
     That week was definitely a time of craziness, a rollercoaster of emotions, and an overall different type of week. The kids began opening up slowly as the week went on and actually began to trust not only us counselors, but God and each other just a little bit more every day. When the girls started opening up I found out one of them had no relationship with God and at that point didn't understand it or want one. Throughout the week I slowly started to see her open up, become more involved in bible studies, and begin to ask questions. It was amazing to see the change in her, especially after hearing her story. It was also amazing to see the group grow together as the week went on and be there to support each other and encourage everyone. After that week I felt as if that week was my purpose for God placing me here this summer. My other weeks have been awesome, but this week showed me the true love of God and my purpose here.
      That week was also the week of my birthday. And nothing gets you homesick more than not being home for a major birthday like 20. Although I struggled with being in New Mexico instead of home, the love that people showed me here was amazing. Spending the summer here was definitely one of the best decisions that I have made.
      As the summer is coming to a close, with only a week left it already not fun to say goodbye. We've already said goodbye to a few people and there are so many left to go in the coming week. Nothing compares to the friendships that I have made here and I wouldn't change it for the world. I can't wait to come home but at the same time it's super scary. It will be a totally different environment from here and it'll definitely be a culture shock. But for now I'm going to make the most of our last few days here and make memories that'll last a lifetime, the next of which is a tacky prom with all of the staff (pictures to come). Ta ta for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kicking Cancer's Ass - Round Two

Healing Sure Ain't Pretty

A Year of Healing and Waiting